The arrival of a new baby is a time of joy and big changes for dads. However, the fact that the newborn focus all the attention, care and affection of all, can make the big brother experience jealousy towards the baby and feel displaced.
To avoid this situation, it is important to prepare your child for the arrival of their new baby brother. Here are a few tips you can follow:
- Get your little one to participate in preparation of the arrival of the new baby; prepare the crib, buy clothes…
- Tell him he will be able to play with his little brother when he’s a little older and a lot of fun.
- Avoid phrases like “he is going to fall” or “do not touch”. Let the child touch the baby and caresses him since his early days and congratulate him saying things like “how well you take care”, “you’re very responsible”…
- Spend a unique day time with your son, since before the arrival of a newborn, the child may be relegated to the background.
- Try to show the same affection for all your children regardless of age.
- Try to change as little as possible of your child’s routine. Do not compare him with his brother.
- Explain to him how a newborn baby, showing pictures from when he was a baby, or to visit friends or relatives who have a newborn at home.
- Do not abuse the use of third persons to care for the older childs, because it is possible that he interprets it as an abandonment.
- Ask him to help you to take care of the baby.